Vision

Envision a day, in the near future, when the aspirations of Black men and boys are not challenged by systemic barriers.

The Campaign for Black Male Achievement (CBMA) is a leading national membership network dedicated to ensuring that improved life outcomes for Black men and boys are a consistent national priority. We are a diverse field of individuals and organizations, yet we are bound by a common vision: create a future where Black men and boys are able to thrive in all aspects of their lives because we, as a nation, have tackled the historical and systemic barriers to Black Male Achievement.

Creating Solutions via Steady Progress

Challenge

In 1995, a report by the Urban Institute profiled 51 “promising” or “effective” programs tackling Black Male Achievement issues. Ten years later, the survey found that 25% of those organizations no longer existed and 50% ended their Black Male Achievement (BMA)-focused work. This staggering loss – a total of 75% of the original programs - was a major catalyst for establishing the Campaign for Black Male Achievement.

We set out to reverse this trend by providing BMA-focused organizations and their leaders with the tools they need to build capacity and connect. Our goal is to help them become high-performing, better connected organizations, ultimately ensuring the Black Male Achievement field is strong enough to address the myriad challenges facing Black men and boys in our country.

The CBMA Solution

Here's what we plan to accomplish in the next few years to strengthen the Black Male Achievement field:

In 2 years:

  • Develop a robust network of leaders and organizations that are advancing Black Male Achievement around four key areas: education, family, workforce, and a shared positive narrative.
  • Provide 300 leaders and organizations with capacity building in the areas of leadership development and organizational sustainability, moving them towards higher performance.

 

In 5 years:

  • 1,000 organizational leaders make measurable progress in expanding work opportunities, strengthening family structures, and attaining educational equity.
  • Philanthropic and government funders increase their investments in the Black Male Achievement field.